Thursday, March 8, 2007

A Dislocated Knee and a Fabulous Dinner...Thank You Leslie's Parents

Yes, I managed to dislocate my knee in Aussie Land. The night started off great. We found Jack Bauer on Channel 5 at 10:30pm (up to date) but before he came on there was an amazing fireworks show over the harbour. They're celebrating the bridge's 75th anniversary and there are all of these events going on. The fireworks lasted about 10 minutes. They were hugeee and very colorful. Leslie said they were in honor of her 21st which began at midnight.

So we got ready, we all looked so cute in our dresses, and walked over to The Eastern, a very trendy bar in Bondi Junction. The music was great, the people were beautiful, and the floor was very slippery. While walking from one side of the bar to the other, I didn't see a large puddle of some sort of liquid because it was so dark and next thing I knew I was laying on the floor with my knee cap on the side of my leg (sorry for being graphic) screaming Leslie's name over the blaring music. Without any hesitation I decided to pop it in myself cause I was in so much pain and then a few guys tried to help me up. As I attempted to stand, my knee decided to pop out again. The bouncers (who were very helpful) called an ambulance and carried me over to a bench by the elevators (we were on the 2nd floor). 5 minutes with your knee cap on the side of your leg seems like an eternity. Finally the paramedics arrived and told me they were going to take me to the hospital so I can be seen by and doctor and he would pop it back into place. I replied with "WHAT?!? You're not going to do it here??? Do you KNOW how BADLY this hurts???" Blake, my new paramedic friend, said that they weren't authorized to do it and it had to be done by the doctor. I said, "NO WAY I'm not waiting any longer", took a deep breath, squeezed the life out of Blake's hand, and popped it back in. After a few loud screams and a few deep breaths, they lifted me up onto a stretcher and wheeled me out of the club...humiliating and amusing at the same time.

After a 5 minute drive in the ambulance to the hospital, 4 hours in the emergency room, 3 painkillers, 2 x-rays, a pair of crutches, a knee brace, and a cute young Irish doctor named Tim, I was in a cab on my way back home. I had sent my roommates home from the hospital at around 2:30 cause there was nothing else they could do but they were absolutely great. Just showed me, even more, how amazing my friends are here. Happy Birthday Les...

I decided going to school probably wasn't the best idea, so I spent the day in bed, taking Advil, and icing my knee. There was no way in the world I was missing Leslie's birthday dinner, so I took a shower (that was an experience given the size of our shower here) and got ready. I wore a long cotton dress to disguise the knee brace, and we were off to Circular Quay to one of the most amazing restaurants in Sydney called Wildfire. The restaurant was GORGEOUS and the food was amazing. Heidi and I split lobster (thank you Leslie's parents) and we got an amazing Snickers Souffle with embarrassing sparklers in it and sang Happy Birthday to the birthday girl. I decided not to go out and took a cab home with my roommate Lindsay. Her best friend from home Jamie came in from Brisbane late last night. After a disc of Sex and the City I went to bed.

Today hasn't been very exciting, but I was able to catch up on the Lost episodes I've missed on iTunes. Tonight we're going to go to a movie in the park downtown which should be fun and relaxing...they're showing The Holiday which I still haven't seen...yay! I'm going to a doctor on Tuesday and hopefully I'll get everything sorted out. Life could be worse right? Hey, I am in Australia. Until next time...cheers :)

No comments: