Friday, March 16, 2007

Waste of Space

Well, I haven't written because I haven't really done anything exciting. My past week has consisted of going back and forth to school, the doctor, and physical therapy...fun right? My knee is healing slowly but surely. The swelling has gone down a lot, good thing it doesn't look like a bowling ball anymore, and it's starting to bruise. The doctor said I chipped the bone when I fell...awesome. Hopefully that won't make the healing process much longer. I had an MRI today to check for further damage and I'm going back to the doctor on Tuesday to get the results. My physio (physical therapist) is great. He's doing acupuncture which is really cool/weird. One day at a time. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Last Friday we went to see a 'Moonlight Movie' in Centennial Park which was a lot of fun. We brought food and picnicked on the lawn. They showed The Holiday which I still hadn't seen. I loved it and would recommend it to everyone! It was such a nice night and there were so many stars in the sky...absolutely gorgeous. We went to the beach on Saturday and Sunday, knee brace and all. There's a grassy patch behind the sand and my friends were nice enough to lay out on that with me so I wouldn't have to attempt walking on the sand. We went back to Bondi Market on Sunday, didn't buy anything but always a good time.

School's going well. I'm starting my first research assignment this week. We have to go out to a place we haven't been yet in Sydney and basically journal it major detail. We'll see how it goes. My lectures have been interesting and the tutorials are very interactive. It's not the norm for everyone to go to Uni (university) after high school here, so the kids that are at Uni are very eager to learn. Not saying it's not like that in the states, but it's almost assumed that after high school we go to college. Here, the students make a true effort to be involved in the classroom because they are choosing to be there and really want to make a name for themselves. I met one girl in my gender studies class who commutes 2 and a half hours each way to school 4 days a week...crazyyy. No one is afraid to start a discussion whether it pertains to the topic or not, and the teachers don't expect you to raise your hand. I actually had one teacher say to an American kid in one of my classes "I already told you twice, you don't need to raise your hand." Poor kid. He was just trying to be polite :)

I booked Spring Break which is exciting. Me and my friend Bryn are going to go to New Zealand for 10 days (Thailand was sadly voted out but I'm definitely excited about this trip). We're flying from Sydney to Christchurch (in the South Island of NZ), and doing a 6 day organized trip of the South Island. I hope I'll be able to hike Fox Glacier! When I told my physio that I needed to be well enough to do that in 3 weeks he almost had a heart attack, but told me he'd try his best to make it happen. After the tour is over, we're going to fly from Christchurch (the tour ends there) to Auckland (in the North Island) and spend 4 days there. I have a few camp friends up there so right now we're planning on staying with them for a couple of days and maybe getting a hotel for a couple of nights. We're gonna play it by ear. Should be a lot of fun!

Well, I'm gonna go to bed. All of the roomies are out on the town, sad, but hopefully I'll be getting back into it soon. Hope everyone is doing well and all my friends in the states had a great and safe Spring Break! Can't wait to hear stories :) Keep in touch! Until next time...Cheers :)

No comments: