Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Life's a Beach

Yesterday was amazing. I keep pinching myself and saying "I can't believe I live here". We haven't had anything but sun, no clouds, warm temps and cool breezes (sorry to my friends up north but I can't help but brag :)). After our day of catching up on the Internet we decided since we live in Australia we need to get out and be productive. Me, Leah, Heidi, and a few other people decided to walk to the beach. It took about 40 minutes from our apartment but it was a great walk. We passed by so many cute cafes, patisseries, and shops. We walked into a French patisserie and I asked the girl if she was hiring...she looked at me like I was crazy but it was worth a shot. There are a few cute cake shops in Bondi so I think I'm going to go out tomorrow and ask around for a part time job. I don't have classes on Tuesdays so I might as well get some experience.

The beach is gorgeous. Bondi Beach is apparently one of the best beaches in the world and now I can see why. The sand is so soft and the water is very clear. It was kind of cold but once you're in you're in. There's a separate area for surfers (which are everywhere) and swimmers. The boardwalk by the beach is great...I really have nothing bad to say.

Our walk back was great. We stopped at this cute salad place that was definitely a good find and somewhere we will be going often. We came back to the apartment and took a little nap then went out to the Palace Hotel (they call a lot of bars hotels here). It was a lot of fun but some of the bars on Coogee close really early (but there still is a fare share of 24 hour, yes 24 hour, pubs). There are over 700 pubs in downtown Sydney alone and wine is honestly cheaper than water...it's crazy.

Today I had orientation at school. It was fun/boring but a good thing to go to. I think we're going to go shopping/browsing for a few hours then head back out to the beach. The sun doesn't set til around 8pm so you can literally go to the beach at 5 in the afternoon and still get a decent tan. The sun here is soooo strong. We've all been wearing a 30 SPF and still getting a tan. I think we're going to go out downtown tonight which is always a good time. I'll write again soon. Until then...cheers :)

No comments: