Sunday, February 25, 2007

Up and Running: Oprah, Ice Packs, and Tut-ers

So after two DREADFUL days without the Internet it's finally back! But it's ok cause we found Oprah...she's on channel "TEN" (which is actually channel one) at 1pm...thank G-d. I jinxed the weather because the past 2 days we tried to go to the beach but it's either been really cloudy or rainy. Tomorrow's supposed to be nice so we're going to make that a beach day which we're really excited about (no Tuesday class :)).

I started my first day of class today. It was a Sexuality class which seems really interesting. The lecture is one time a week for 2 hrs. and then we have a tutorial (or Tut as they call it here) for an hour once a week. The campus is great and it was cool to see the Australian students in their uni (college) environment. The classroom was a big lecture hall set up a lot like one at Indiana. The teacher taught off of slides and a syllabus. I wasn't really expecting anything much different, but it was reassuring to have that comforting teaching style that I'm used to.

We took it easy the past two nights and didn't go out because of the rain on Saturday and school this morning. We did go down to Darling Harbour on Friday night which was a lot of fun. There's a Bungalow 8 down there and a place called Cargo. Cargo is one of the bars that the Real World (the show on MTV) is allowed to film at and they are there all the time. A few people from our program actually went to the Real World house the other night and said it was really cool. They met some of the guys and apparently the girls who lived in the house went into the confessional and were talking bad about them which was kind of funny. They'll probably wind up being on the show cause they had to sign a bunch of papers before they entered the house, turn over their phones, cameras and some other things. It'll be cool to come back to the states in July and watch the new season and be able to point out a lot of the things around Sydney. After Darling Harbour we went to an area of town called Kings Cross. It was ok...I like it down by the harbour better. It's soooo hot here, even at night. We're going to start going out with ice packs strapped onto our backs...kidding...but seriously... ;)

We spent the day yesterday getting some of the final essentials for the apartment. It's starting to look more like a home and not a hotel suite which is definitely nice. I'll take pics of it soon. I made dinner for the roomies last night which was a lot of fun. We had the ground turkey sauce with roasted veggies that I make all the time at home (your favorite Dad! I even put the peas in it :)). Leah helped while Heidi watched and she and Les did a good job eating it...I guess when they go back for seconds you know you did something right :) The girls are finalizing their class schedules right now (they're at Sydney Uni) and should be back in a little. Oh! Heidi moved in yayyyyyy. She liked her roommates but since I had a single and we were getting a random roommate in April anyway, we all thought it would be fun if she moved upstairs. It's working out great. This week is going to be pretty relaxed. Since we don't have tuts this week I only have 3 more lectures. The days go by soo quickly here. I can't believe we've already been in the apartment for a week. Friday we're going on a Wine Tour in the Hunter Valley which should be a lot of fun. I'm sure I'll have some fun stories about that later in the week. My friend Natalie from camp who is a flight attendant for Air New Zealand has a stop-over in Sydney tonight so I think we're going to meet up in the city later. It will be nice to catch up with her. That's all for now. Miss everyone a lot and hope home is great. Keep the e-mails coming! I love hearing about what's going on wherever you may be...Cheers :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Honey,
Thanks for giving me the shout in your blog. I love you, Daddy

Hi Stacy,
Your blog is great! Yes, I did read about the Israeli lady. I can even picture what she looks like. Very funny!! Hope you had a nice beach day, and, I'm happier than you know that you state you are "coming home." Haha... you better :) Love you mucho, Mom